It has been more than one-year since COVID-19 pandemic hit us. The global pandemic has temporarily side-lined all the plans to teach English overseas. Right now, in some countries the COVID-19 restrictions are going to be little bit of restrained gradually as quite a few countries have experienced considerable declines in COVID cases.In the phase of corona virus, a number of ESL teachers are pondering questions like if there is still a market for teaching English or getting TEFL certified will be a waste of money or not and so on.
Certainly, we cannot forecast the future; nonetheless, as associated with the field of TEFL certification and teaching English abroad, we have tried to gather all the updated information about TEFL and COVID-19 pandemic. Across the world, countries have gradually started to reopen and returning to normalcy.
- 1 Here we have tried to answer a few questions concerning teaching English abroad after COVID-19 —
- 1.1 1. When to move overseas to teach English?
- 1.2 2. What’s the present condition for teaching English overseas?
- 1.3 3. Are companies/schools/institutes still hiring English teachers?
- 1.4 4. When will you be able to teach English in a foreign country?
- 1.5 5. Is it a good time to invest in a TEFL/TESOL course?
- 1.6 6. Can you still apply for abroad ESL positions?
- 1.7 7. Can you still teach English online?
- 2 We’ve also gathered the 10 best places to teach English overseas in 2021… you may add them to your wish list—
Here we have tried to answer a few questions concerning teaching English abroad after COVID-19 —
1. When to move overseas to teach English?
It truly depends on the country and region, as well as the country that you are coming from. For example, if you are coming from such a place that was not deeply impacted by Corona virus, it may be easier for you to travel out of the country. In addition, several countries have now started to ease limitations and slowly begun to revive. If you are planning to travel, you could start to do so as early as late summer to early Fall, depending on the country!
2. What’s the present condition for teaching English overseas?
Some countries such as South Korea, Vietnam, China and Germany have already reopened lots of their schools at present.Vietnam is in partial lock-down with quarantine period extended. However, there are many countries also across the world, which are still experiencing the lock-down and lots of schools are presently closed until further notice. Myanmar’s borders are closed due to COVID-19 and Japan too is mostly closed for outsiders.
This signifies the fact that there are less job opportunities for teaching English overseas. Nevertheless, according to the up-to-date information,specialists estimate numerous schools and language institutes could reopen soon. Thus, it’s a smart idea to get TEFL qualified as soon as possible to avoid the rush and make yourself available.
3. Are companies/schools/institutes still hiring English teachers?
Certainly! Even there is a growing demand for English teachers despite Corona virus. Moreover, numerous ESL companies are hiring online as well but for the time being, in-person teaching jobs have paused, until further information. There are numerous online English teaching companies that are hiring at the moment!
4. When will you be able to teach English in a foreign country?
Get vaccinated at first. This will not only help you in protecting yourself along with others in your family but also lessen the spread of the virus. It will also make it easier for you to travel overseas. As most countries require a negative Covid-19 test to enter while many necessitate vaccines.For example, the European Union have broadcasted that most member nations will reopen to American travellers, but only those who are vaccinated.
5. Is it a good time to invest in a TEFL/TESOL course?
If you are looking for a rewarding career in teaching English abroad, then YES! The demand for English educators is continuously increasing and if you do it now, you will have sufficient time to complete the course before moving out of the country to teach English. By the time you have finished the course, if things go well, you will get more opportunities. TEFL/TESOL provides you with the essential assistance you need to become an effective educator. Moreover, TEFL/TESOL certificate is required by most ESL companies for teaching English online.
6. Can you still apply for abroad ESL positions?
Yes you can still apply and secure a job overseas.However, you might not be able to travel right now but till further notice, you can get all of your paperwork done along with visa processes. In fact, countless ESL language schools and institutes hire teachers in advance.
7. Can you still teach English online?
Indeed, now is the perfect time to teach English online from your comfort zone. Various ESL language schools and institutes have resumed their classes virtually and lots of English language apprentices are looking for online classes. Additionally, it’s a good mode for you to earn income online in these indefinite times.
We’ve also gathered the 10 best places to teach English overseas in 2021… you may add them to your wish list—
- Taiwan: Taiwan is gradually becoming a TEFL/TESOL powerhouse and is one of the best places to teach English abroad. The country has handled the Covid-19 situation extremely well. An ethnically diverse and economically thriving country, salaries are on the upsurge as well.
- South Korea: South Korea has always been one of the most anticipated TEFL/TESOL locations among the TEFLers. Contemporary cities, competitive salaries, spectacular natural beauty, delicious food, safety with outstanding public transportation,etc. together make it a popular choice.
- Hungary: Hungary offers several ESL opportunities to teach in both public schools and private establishments.The Central European Teaching Program (CETP) is presently accepting candidates to teach English apprentices in cities as well as towns throughout the country in 2021.
- Malaysia: Malaysia possesses high demand for skilled English teachers. Both public and private schools, as well as ESL language institutes hire the trainers across the globe. Diverse food options, tropical climate,exotic beaches and rainforests, etc. together make Malaysia is a great choice for TEFL/TESOL educators.
- Cambodia: Cambodia has plenty of ESL job opportunities. Right now, Cambodia’s borders are open to tourists with an appropriate visa, a negative COVID-19 test taken less than 72 hours prior with valid medical insurance.Educators will need to secure a job in Cambodia in advance for the visa.
- Singapore: Singapore offers numerous ESL teaching jobs in public schools and the ESL segment. The lock-down was lifted in June 2020 due to its feat in dealing with the COVID-19.Once the quarantine is over, you’ll be able to do anything. Borders are open to individuals with a legal visa arriving in Singapore. Travellers must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test report on arrival taken within 72 hours of landing.
- Chile: Chile also has plenty of prospects to teach English. Chile is also known for its literary and artistic culture,with a very low cost of living, ESL teachers may save a lot of money.
Apart from these countries, ESL enthusiasts may also explore places like – Morocco, Oman, Thailand, Colombia, etc.
However, before you make any plans to teach English abroad, make sure you go through the latest travel advice from your country. Also, stay up-to-date with the latest travel restrictions.
If you’re not yet ready to travel or feel insecure, take a pause and finish all the necessary requirements like getting TEFL certification online along with other developments. Don’t panic! The demand for English teachers remains strong; your TEFL certification will be effective for life!